Microsoft CSP is a licensing model and program first announced at WPC 2014 as an evolution of the Syndication program.
Microsoft CSP is designed so that partners can own the full scale management of the customer life cycle. Unlike the Microsoft Open program, CSP is optimised for the reselling of Microsoft online services. CSP customers are billed on per user per month subscriptions. The customer can add or remove users any time he/ she wants in CSP without having to keep track of the subscription renewal dates. Once the licenses are purchased, they will appear in the customer’s Office 365 admin portal immediately without having to redeem the licenses separately in VLSC.
However, the term “Transition to CSP” can sound scary and daunting, nut it it is not.
With the multi-channel capability, licenses purchased thorough CSP, Open and Webdirect can coexist. All licenses purchased through different programs and channels will be added to a single “license pool”. When your customer wants to transition to CSP, you can simply assist your customers to purchase licenses through CSP and too add the licenses into the license pool, while waiting for the existing licenses from other programs to expire. When each of the licenses purchased through the other programs expire, they will be removed from the license pool and the “transition” is complete.
Below are some detailed steps that demonstrate what you should do when you're helping your customers to transition their licenses to CSP. Note that this is intended for rhipe CSP partners. If you are not already, please sign up as a rhipe CSP partner by visiting www.rhipe.com/csp to gain access to rhipe Prime portal.
Step 1: Check the subscription end date and turns off auto-renewal
- The customer or partner should determine when the existing Open or WebDirect licenses expire in the Office 365 admin portal under Billing->Subscriptions. The partner or customer can perform the transition up to 30 days after the expiry of the licenses as Microsoft offer a 30 day license expiry grace period.
- Turn off auto-renewal if the customer is a WebDirect customer.
Step 2: Transition and order in the rhipe Prime portal
- Log into the Prime portal when the customer is ready to transition to CSP
- Go to Program -> Microsoft CSP, click on “Transition Tenant”
- Click “Create new customer” radio button
- Enter all the customer details and click “Create tenant”
- Enter the correct quantity for the licenses in the order
- Select an add-on from the next page if any are required, and click "submit order"
- You can also watch this rhipe YouTube video to see how to transition tenant in rhipe Prime Portal.
Step 3: Authorise rhipe as a delegated admin:
- The primary user of PrimePortal will receive a set of instructions on to authorise rhipe as delegated admin by going to rhi.pe/cspaus (depending on the country),
- The link should be forwarded to the admin of the customer (Not delegated admin), or to an alternative employee in the partner's organisation who has the customer's admin login credentials. Upon opening the link in the browser, the admin will be prompted to log in using the customer's Office 365 admin credentials.
- Accept the terms and conditions and click "Authorise".
Within 24 hours, the Microsoft CSP licenses will appear in the customer's Office 365 admin portal and be added to the license pool. After that, just let the previous Open or Webdirect licenses expire and the transition to the CSP Program is complete!
If the SKUs ordered through CSP are the same SKUs before the transition (for example, Office 365 Enterprise E3 to Office 365 Enterprise E3), no user license assignment is required. And there is no data migration, no downtime and no disruption to the users. If the ordered SKU is different from the original SKU, reassignment of SKU using Powershell or Office 365 admin center will be required. Your customers may also need to reinstall their Office 365.
By JY Wong, Partner Enable Specialist (CSP), rhipe